Answered By: MaryAlice Wade
Last Updated: Feb 10, 2017     Views: 32

You may be able to, depending on the library and where you live.  Here are the policies for a few universities in Kansas.  For libraries not listed here, contact the library directly and ask if they offer reciprocal borrowing to university students, or if community members can use their materials. You may be able to use their computers and databases within the library, and/or have to purchase a library card to check out materials.  Remote access (i.e. online access to library materials from home) is usually restricted to students of that university.

University of Kansas offers reciprocal borrowing to students of all Kansas Regents Institutions. Students must bring a photo id and proof of enrollment at a Regents school, and buy a $20 library card. More information is available on their website:

Kansas State Universities: Anyone can borrow library materials with the purchase of a Community Patron Card.

Emporia State University:  Kansas residents may purchase a library card. 

Pittsburgh State University: "Residents of the four state area [Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma] may be issued library cards upon presenting proof of residence (such as a driver's license), according to the library's website.

Washburn University offers a Guest Borrower card. Guest Borrowers must be Kansas residents, 18 years of age or older, and present photo identification when applying for the Washburn University Guest Borrower's Card."

Wichita State University:  Students from other Kansas universities can borrow from WSU libraries by obtaining a Community Researcher card.  

Related Topics